Welcome to my blog "Cape"able Moments. I created this blog to celebrate the fact that, while we may not always be SuperMom, every one of us has days or moments when we get to wear our SuperMom cape.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 4 Flats and Handwashing Challenge

Today is the fourth day of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge. As a reminder, this is a 7 day Challenge where participants can only use flat cloth diapers and have to ditch their washer and dryer in favor of good ol’ fashioned handwashing. We are close to 500 participants this year and many are blogging their journey. You can find their posts linked at the end.

Today's question is: What's your wash routine?

I'm not going to tell you anything new here. It's laundry, not chemistry. Having said that here's my dance!

  I like to soak my diapers over night. For this challenge I wanted to use a little fewer resources so I just tossed them into the kids' used bath water last night. Sometimes I forget to soak them though so I just put then in at breakfast time to soak a bit in warm water. It looses up the poo. I have a washing stick that I use for many less than desirable tasks and it is useful here. It's actually the stick from an old plunger that I broke trying to do the whole 'camp washer' thing. Anywho, I swish the diapers around with the stick after they have soaked, knock the plug out of the tub with it and poke them around while they drain. Next I turn on the shower (and this is why I use the tub) and let a little water run through them while I wait for the hot water to come down. Fill the tub with a few inches of hot water, 1-2 tablespoons of Tide and 1 Tbls of washing soda. I then go through and unfold all of the diapers, swish them a little and then let them set. My mom job has to be done too! When I get back to washing, the diapers have cooled down enough to handle and the detergent has had time to dissolve and do some of it's own work. Now, think washing machine. You want to make that "Wish, Swish" noise you hear from the machine. I get in bare foot and stomp around on them, usually while wearing the baby. Stomp, slosh, fold with feet, repeat. Great workout! Next I get out and scrub the diapers against each other with my hands. It is very effective, no equipment required! With flats, you really just need to move the water in and out through the fabric to clean them so keep that in mind. Then drain the wash water while squishing out as much water as you can. Shower time again! Run the cold water shower on the pile of diapers while filling the tub a couple of inches. Stomp, squish, dance again for a few minutes. Take a second with each diaper to see if it is as clean as you would like. Drain again. Now I go through the pile one at a time. I rinse under running water while holding one corner. Then fold up in half-ish, the again and twist. It goes quickly with a rhythm.

  Now, for drying. I live in a place where the wind ALWAYS blows. Every. Single. Day. Whether we want it to or not. Having said that, there is a trick to hanging laundry in very windy places. You have to hang then from the middles instead of the ends. Otherwise you will have to pick up your laundry from the next county. Plenty of wind will move through them this way. It is not as pretty that way, but you'll thank me for that tid-bit. On the occasion when it's raining, I have hung them, folded in half, from one end on a hanger, same as a line. I have hung them many places that way, shower rod, ceiling fan, cabinet doors. Much easier than hanging a line and you can move them if they get in the way. I also want to add, if your diapers or wipes get uncomfortable crunchy you can soften them with a little elbow grease. I grab the diagonal corners and yank a couple of times, then switch and yank the other way. Quick and effective and easy to do while folding.

  So that's my routine. You do develop a feel for it after a bit. I like to leave my laundry a little wetter than most people because my hands give out when I have a lot of laundry. Wring them more if you are drying inside. BTW I didn't get my diapers out to dry today until after 2, but they'll still be dry by dinner.  :)
My portable indoor drying method
Welcome to my gym! This is the first soak. Yes, there is poop in there.
Are you gonna tell her she's not cute in cloth? Me neither!

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness gracious, galore! 'G' was a cute baby!!! ;) I respect you so much after reading these... I could not do cloth... unless there was no other choice. I. Just. Couldn't. And washing them by hand... AH! Lord have mercy! You are awesome...

    ReplyDelete