Welcome to my blog "Cape"able Moments. I created this blog to celebrate the fact that, while we may not always be SuperMom, every one of us has days or moments when we get to wear our SuperMom cape.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pretty Pretty Easy = Mom Win!

Pretty and easy junk suncatcher (Pay no attention to the small hand prints and baby slobber on the window)


I have a great Super Mom points project for you! Ideas from pintrest along with a bit of "I wonder waht would happen if..." ended up being really cool. So here is a how to!

Items needed:

1) Cheap plastic beads. We used pony beads and some others that we found floating around in the craft supplies. You want hard plastic, not soft. Next time I am totally adding glitter!

2) Oven proof containers. These round ones were made in a mini muffin pan and the star is from a metal cookie cutter that we placed on a metal pan.

3) String, twine, monofilament, whatever. Something to hang your pretties from.

Place your beads into your containers and cover the bottoms. They should only be 1 layer thick, don't stack them or it leaves weird bumps, too few and you get gaps. Place into a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Cool and then tap the pans to remove shapes. We drilled some holes in ours using Daddy's drill press and tied them up. #3 snatched up the rest for his collection. (He's 4, you know he has "collections") TA DA!

*I should note that there is a plastic fume smell with this. We had to limit our creations to 1 oven load a day, because of the slightly nasty, possibly toxic fumes. It would be best to do this on an open window day, or even outside with a toaster oven.

The kids were so happy with this durable, pretty craft that I see many coming in our future and if you know us, probably coming to you in your next gift :) They thought I had really come up with something neat and I could see the wheels turning in #2's head. Yes, my mom cape was totally showing on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment